Friday, October 15, 2021

Country Roads Quilt

 


I named this quilt Country Roads… yes, with John Denver’s song in mind. It is everything I love about a quilt. It’s cozy, scrappy, and nostalgic! And the photos taken outside were on a little country road in the community where I grew up. It makes me a little teary-eyed thinking of that, but it shouldn’t. I still go to church in that little community every week.

WhenI made this quilt, I thought of the squares as home and all of the strips as roads leading to home. The next Country Roads quilt I make will have either a red or yellow center, representing the heart of the home or the light of the home… similar to a log cabin quilt.

I am slowly adding all my finished quilts to my Honeysuckle Lane shop, and I’ll be blogging about more of them as I find time.


As for the design, I’m not sure what it’s called, but I recently saw a video by Beth Shibley showing how to make the inset squares and I was hooked! 


The back is made from a vintage brown plaid and a few scraps left over from the front of this quilt.


I’ll admit, basting is what I dread about quilt making. That’s probably why I have several quilt tops made but not finished. But once I get started, I am excited to machine quilt it and add the binding.


My Juki TL-2000Qi is perfect for straight line quilting. I purchased mine second hand a few years ago, but you can find new ones here.


I usually save hand-stitching the binding for watching tv in the evenings.



Not everyone shops on Etsy, so if you see a quilt you like, just email me and I can invoice directly.


No comments:

Post a Comment