Monday, November 30, 2020

Quilt in a Quilt in a Quilt


This quilt was an old one I remember from when I was a little girl in the 70s. I don’t know if it is one my mom made or maybe it was from one of my grandparents. Now that I think about it, Mom’s work was always much neater and more precise, so I think this must have come from one of my grandparents. Maybe it was hastily put together just to have something for warmth.

I dug it out of a bag of old family quilts several months back and after looking it over, I saw a tear that needed to be repaired. But then I realized there was another quilt inside! It was a heavy quilt and now I knew why it was so heavy.



I started unpicking the binding, which was part of the old coverlet used as the backing. I know a lot of people would say leave it as is, but it was too worn to use, and it’s just going to be here in my home, and I wanted to see what was inside.


I plan to keep the front and back folded and stacked together with the older quilt. I’ll keep a note with them, explaining how they belonged together.




As I saw more, I could tell there was another quilt inside! I’m not sure if I’ll be able to reveal the third quilt, so it may just stay inside with a peek of it here and there.













There were patches on the back of the quilt...



And there were patches on the older quilt inside.


I put my hand inside the large patch and couldn’t find a hole anywhere! I wonder why such a large patch was sewn on a perfectly good quilt?




 I have a few more quilts to  examine and decide if I should repair any holes or ripped seams, or leave alone and add them to the display stack.

I’ll share them with you soon.

Take care and God bless,
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment