Thursday, March 31, 2016

Machine Quilted Lap Quilt


After one of my sisters saw the little quilt I made for Jolee, she asked if I'd machine quilt and bind a lap quilt she had pieced.


I placed everything on the floor, taping the bottom piece so it wouldn't move around as I layered the batting and the top.



And then I pin basted everything... those curved pins by Dritz are so much easier to use!


I actually enjoy doing wavy machine quilting... when my sewing machine cooperates. I had a few problems about half-way through the quilt. For some reason tension got out of whack, and I didn't realize it until I'd sewn several rows and flipped it over to check the back. So, I ripped out several lines of quilting, re-quilted, and then got it ready for the binding.


I made the binding from the same pinky/coral fabric that was used in the quilt top.

{ I always do handwork under an OttLite --- I have a few different styles and have more on my wish list! }

I always sew the double-fold (or French-fold) binding on the front by machine, and then finish by hand-sewing it to the back.

Call me crazy but I love hand-stitching the binding!


My sister was very happy with her quilt! I think she's ordered an even feed walking foot so she can try machine quilting, too! :)

I have another quilt to start soon. It will be a queen size and in shades of blue, gray, and white. I'll share in-progress photos when I start on it.

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Take care and God Bless,
Lana




No comments:

Post a Comment