Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Hand-Tufted Mattresses --- A Growing Obsession?


I've recently become enamored with making miniature hand-tufted ticking mattresses using old French ticking. Mine are little pincushions... or pin pillows.

You may purchase these three pin pillows made from French ticking at Honeysuckle Lane

I made the first one as a tuffet for a mohair bird and then another for a lop-eared bunny. And I just kept making them.


Now I have ideas of making a hand-tufted mattress / cushion for a bench that I want to make from an old bed I bought at a Habitat for Humanity Resale Store. It's the same concept, just on a bigger scale, right?

Here's one example, although the bench is made from more than a bed:

via Refresh Restyle


I've started pinning any and all ticking / mattress / cushion ideas that strike my fancy... thank you Pinterest! I don't know what we'd do if that website ever shut down and we lost all our pins... probably riot!

via French Garden House - you will LOVE Lidy's shop!

via One Kings Lane


I've also found loads of youtube videos about mattress making. Here are a couple to get you started:
Block printed, hand stitched quilt video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck25bSSnwFU
Making a hand-tufted mattress video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJAabi1LFYw


Blessings,
Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment