Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Early American Inspired Wall Boxes


With my husband being the perfectionist woodworker that he is, I never could talk him into making some primitive wall boxes and shelves for me. He would if I really, really wanted him to but he really isn't into painting wood and then distressing it... at all! You can see some of his past work here, here, and here. He does beautiful work!

On the other hand, I think that I am drawn to the early, distressed, or well-loved style because I can very seldom make something look perfect, so I make that work for me! So for the last few days, I have made a few trips out to Roger's workshop and put together a few shelves myself. I think the first day Roger wasn't sure about turning me loose with all his tools... but the second day he only came to check on me two or three times.


I'd used the band saw and oscillating sander before, but this was my first time with the drill press and table saw. Once he showed me how to safely use them, I got to work!




I found a few designs of antiques I liked and sketched them on kraft paper. Then basically I sketched on the wood, cut the design, sketched a few adjustments, and cut a little more (which I'm sure drove Roger nuts!), hammered in the nails (Roger suggested a nail gun but I wanted nails hammered into the wood), then sanded (some with the power sander but mostly by hand)... then painted, sanded, stained, and waxed with my homemade beeswax paste.


The first one was listed here and has already been sold. I have more ready to paint, and although I have ideas of the colors to use, I'd like to hear your suggestions, too!

The designs from left to right are:
primitive heart love token shelf
whale's tail wall box
tombstone spoon rack
lollipop candle box



Thanks for visiting!

Take care and God bless,
Lana

1 comment:

  1. I love working with wood. I think your time with your husband's tools turned out wonderful. They look great.
    I looked at your husband's work. That crib is just incredible. So is the table. I am a old board kind of gal and my husband is just like your husband. :) I have my own saw but haven't used it in a while. I need to get back to it. I love the color you chose.

    ReplyDelete