Monday, August 1, 2011

Full Circle ~ almost


Happy August! Wow ~ it's hard to believe that August has arrived. Seriously, it seems like this year has really flown by... more so than other years. There are so many things on my "to do" list for this year that aren't checked off. I'm getting a little worried. Can I get them completed in 4 or 5 more months? I hope so!

I'm still trying to find my place in the folk art world. Several years ago when I joined an online group of early American folk art enthusiasts, my eyes were opened to a whole new world ~ primitive folk art! Previously, I loved this style, loved the history, loved the whimsical pieces made by nowadays self-taught artists, but never really knew there were groups that talked about it and shared their knowledge of folk art and folk art crafts.




Over time, my style changed somewhat. I still enjoyed learning about and making primitive and folk art pieces, but with a lighter, softer look about them to match my home decor. More and more my designs seemed to be lighter, more cottage / shabby chic / whimsical in style. I finally nearly abandoned the primitive, folk art crafts, but not because I didn't like them, but for lack of time because I was so busy with my new found love ~ paper crafting!



Although I am sure I will always be playing with paper and making all sorts of things that go with a cottage, shabby chic, whimsical decor... I do want to get back to early American, primitive, folk art. Maybe it'll be a combination of styles, maybe I still haven't found my niche, maybe I just enjoy way too many things to settle down... oh well... I can honestly say I'm never bored and never run out of ideas. I have stacks of sketch books filled with all sorts of creations just waiting to be made. Like I told my daughter a while back, "I'm so glad we have eternity!." :)


Since I am working on more primitive folk art pieces, I have re-joined TDIPT (To Dwell In Primitive Thymes). The TDIPT Mercantile updates twice a month on the 1st and the 15th. My updates will be on the 1st of each month. You may see my page HERE. I need to make another banner for my page when I have time but for now I used a cropped border from one of my watercolors.

I've made whimsical owls (can't seem to get away from whimsy for long!), more petite poppet portraits, a pumpkin on candlestick, and a few more items that may be seen at the TDIPT Mercantile.


 If you enjoy early American, primitive, folk art with a bit of whimsy, you'll enjoy visiting TDIPT. Come on over when you have time!

That's it for today. I have three 5-gallon buckets of corn waiting to be shucked, washed and frozen.

Take care and God bless,
Lana
~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment