Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Color, Color, Color!

Watercolor, that is!

 I'm finally finishing up a commissioned watercolor this week {late, I might add and not shown in these photos}. While I have my supplies out, I thought I'd experiment with some vintage watercolors that I recently purchased.

The first set of watercolor paints below are from West Germany and are called Angora. There's a cute little cat on the lid.

I like the colors, not too bright and with a vintage look ~ how coincidental ~ vintage watercolors look vintage! ;)

The two photos below show a sample I did using Guitar Watercolours. Though the tin isn't marked, I think these were made in Japan.


Again, I like these colors as well.

I think my favorite is Revoli Paints. I think these were made in the U.S.A. 1920's - 40s according to another source I found online.


Can you tell I'm having fun doodling flowers? :)

Detals are done with a sepia PITT pen.


My least favorite were the Artista watercolors made by Binney & Smith as seen below.


There was nothing wrong with them, they were just too bright and vivid ~ but that's something that many artists look for in their paints. It just wasn't what I was looking for this time.


I have done so many fraktur inspired watercolors, first drawing the artwork in pencil then painting and staying in the lines, that I decided to try a little looser approach with these designs.


I painted basic flower shapes, then after the paint dried, I drew the flowers and leaves and curlicues with the PITT pen.

I kind of like it!

A lot! :)


I think I'll keep all but the Artista set. It will most likely get listed on my website when I list another batch of vintage items and supplies.

Do you doodle or paint? What's your favorite medium?
Feel free to share a link in the comments below.

Thanks for stopping by!

Take care and God bless,
Lana

~*~

P.S. I've recently started listing on eBay again... once in a while. You can see my current listing {an antique make-do pincushion} by clicking this link or by clicking on the link in the sidebar where it says: My eBay Auctions.

4 comments:

  1. hi! i also have a tin of those Guitar Water Colours. i bought it some time in the late 80's at Pier One. came across this post after looking up images of the tin to see if they were still around.

    crowamonghens@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment.
    i thought the guitar watercolors didn't look quite that old, but hey, 80's is now considered vintage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these watercolors! Just lovely! And so happy :) Would look wonderful printed as greeting cards...
    Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are so happy and bright, makes me smile - thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete