Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Color, Color, Color!

Watercolor, that is!

 I'm finally finishing up a commissioned watercolor this week {late, I might add and not shown in these photos}. While I have my supplies out, I thought I'd experiment with some vintage watercolors that I recently purchased.

The first set of watercolor paints below are from West Germany and are called Angora. There's a cute little cat on the lid.

I like the colors, not too bright and with a vintage look ~ how coincidental ~ vintage watercolors look vintage! ;)

The two photos below show a sample I did using Guitar Watercolours. Though the tin isn't marked, I think these were made in Japan.

Again, I like these colors as well.

I think my favorite is Revoli Paints. I think these were made in the U.S.A. 1920's - 40s according to another source I found online.

Can you tell I'm having fun doodling flowers? :)

Detals are done with a sepia PITT pen.

My least favorite were the Artista watercolors made by Binney & Smith as seen below.

There was nothing wrong with them, they were just too bright and vivid ~ but that's something that many artists look for in their paints. It just wasn't what I was looking for this time.

I have done so many fraktur inspired watercolors, first drawing the artwork in pencil then painting and staying in the lines, that I decided to try a little looser approach with these designs.

I painted basic flower shapes, then after the paint dried, I drew the flowers and leaves and curlicues with the PITT pen.

I kind of like it!

A lot! :)

I think I'll keep all but the Artista set. It will most likely get listed on my website when I list another batch of vintage items and supplies.

Do you doodle or paint? What's your favorite medium?
Feel free to share a link in the comments below.

Thanks for stopping by!

Take care and God bless,


P.S. I've recently started listing on eBay again... once in a while. You can see my current listing {an antique make-do pincushion} by clicking this link or by clicking on the link in the sidebar where it says: My eBay Auctions.


  1. hi! i also have a tin of those Guitar Water Colours. i bought it some time in the late 80's at Pier One. came across this post after looking up images of the tin to see if they were still around.

  2. thanks for the comment.
    i thought the guitar watercolors didn't look quite that old, but hey, 80's is now considered vintage. :)

  3. Love these watercolors! Just lovely! And so happy :) Would look wonderful printed as greeting cards...
    Blessings, Patti

  4. These pictures are so happy and bright, makes me smile - thanks for this review!