Friday, February 25, 2011

Looking Back

I am chomping at the bit to get started on some spring whimsies! I've had the flu this week (seems to happen every February during or just after my birthday) and I haven't felt like making anything, but today I finally brought my laptop in the living room so I could stay snuggled on the couch with my flannel quilt, in front of the fire, drink hot hazelnut coffee, and look through my past designs for inspiration ~ if I can stay awake, lol!

I think I'll do more rabbits and bird in the hand pieces with curlicue wire embellishments for March. I hope my customers aren't tired of them.

So... here's what was going on in 2008:

Birds, Bees, & Bunnies, Too!


That is the theme of a TDIPT group launch currently underway on eBay. For the auction, I made one of my Bird in Hand whimsical folk art pieces (two photos shown). A few years ago I had been thinking of old fashioned phrases to coordinate with my designs and when I thought of "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" I had to make my first Bird in Hand.... even if it was at midnight! I traced my hand on paper, drew a basic bird shape that I thought would be about the right size, and went from there. They may be used as a pincushion, or to just sit among your collections of birds, handmade whimsies, or bird nests. You may see my auction here ~ it ends Sunday night!



And be sure to visit Suzanne's auction. {2011 update: obviously the auction is over, but you may find Suzanne's work here: Pear Tree Primitives.} She has painted an early style silhouette of two sisters with a bird and a birdcage. As I have mentioned before, I have some of her artwork and she is a wonderful artist!


{2011 update: I'm happy to say I own this piece and absolutely love it! :) }


I haven't made any bees or bunnies for the ebay auction, so I thought I'd share a photo I took a few years ago of a bee and wisteria. I have taken lots and lots.... and lots of photos of flowers, bees, butterflies, birds, bark and moss.... the list goes on and on. I'll share some with you from time to time.




I don't have a photo of a live bunny, but this is a rabbit I designed and made last year. I was inspired by the lithographed fabric rabbits of the late 1800s. Mine is sewn, stuffed and handpainted. I'll have a few of these to offer later in Spring.




Have a blessed weekend!
Lana

~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment