Saturday, August 22, 2009

Facebook Follow-up

Sounds like a visit to the doctor, doesn't it? I thought I'd continue a little about my facebook fiascoes, but actually, it’s running a little smoother. I’m learning my way around the basics - just enough to post typos..... and re-post them again without the corrections. (banging head on computer).
I've discovered (from the last post) that THIS is how to get readers to comment on my blog: tell all about my flubs and goofs and technical dorkiness and they come out of the woodwork, ha-ha!

I have read on many forums that keeping active facebook and twitter accounts helps with business, getting your name out there, networking, etc. However, I feel like I am putting very unimportant things on there and wasting people's precious time when I'm just chatting away. I feel that way on twitter too.
I do enjoy keeping up with what's going on with everyone, but for myself, it's easier to do so face-to-face, by phone, by e-mail, by blogs... in that order. I just can't keep up with twitter or facebook. So, for the most part, facebook and twitter will be business related... for the most part... I think.

Back when I started my blog, I basically did it for the purposes of:
#1: sharing a little more about me, the area in which I live, my work, and my life so that my website email updates didn't get too long (sorry that didn't work ~ I'm still trying to shorten them!). Just little things here and there so my customers could get to know who I am and what I'm about.
and #2: networking, getting the word out about Honeysuckle Lane (since I do work from home and live in the middle of nowhere), learning from and sharing with other work-at-homers the pros and cons of combining home businesses and family, etc.

Blogs have opened up a whole new world for me. I know, that sounds so cliche`, but it's true! I have "met" so many truly kind, caring, generous people since I wrote my first blog post and I really, really love blogging! I have even met some of you in person!


So for now, I may use facebook and twitter mostly for business, just sharing updates, links to new items, and use my blog for the lengthier news. But... you know me... I start to type a short message and it grows and grows and grows.....

If you'd like to friend me on facebook or become a fan of Simple Joys Paperie or follow me on twitter ~ all of those links are in the sidebar at your left
<---------- somewhere over there.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Now, on to something else. I have needed to clean house on my website for quite a while. I've been waiting for the right time, but when you sell online, and holidays and seasons keep popping up, it's hard to choose the right time for down time in your shop! Nevertheless, I have removed many items from my website. I will be taking some to a few shops that sell my work, and I'll be returning some to the site. I also wanted to re-work the background pages, but I may not have time to do that, we'll see.

So, if you are visiting Honeysuckle Lane and it looks a bit bare, please come back mid September. I hope to have it re-stocked by then.

In the meantime, my etsy shops will still have items in them. Simple Joys Paperie is stocked with paper wreaths and Honeysuckle Lane has a miscellany of handmade items.


Thanks so much for dropping by and I hope you have a wonderfully blessed weekend!
Lana of Honeysuckle Lane & Simple Joys Paperie

~*~

p.s. I didn't have any appropriate photos for my post today, so I used the faces of my dolls...
faces... facebook... get it? It's a stretch, I know...

3 comments:

  1. All of your dolls are just beautiful !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the social networking sites can be real time wasters if you're not careful, LOL! I love blogging the best and am grateful for the many friends I have made through my blog. I won't even consider dipping my toe into Facebook!

    Love the doll faces and how you worked that into the subject matter, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dolls are lovely! Thank you for your encouraging comment. I have not dared venture into the facebook-twitter lane yet. We'll see if I do in the future. Your paper wreaths are gorgeous. Years ago I made a similiar wreath of paper cones for a 4th of July party. It was quite a conversation piece.

    I'll be back to see your beautiful goodies in September.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete