Thursday, February 7, 2008

Birds, Bees, & Bunnies, Too!


That is the theme of a TDIPT group launch currently underway on eBay. For the auction, I made one of my Bird in Hand whimsical folk art pieces (two photos shown). A few years ago I had been thinking of old fashioned phrases to coordinate with my designs and when I thought of "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" I had to make my first Bird in Hand.... even if it was at midnight! I traced my hand on paper, drew a basic bird shape that I thought would be about the right size, and went from there. They may be used as a pincushion, or to just sit among your collections of birds, handmade whimsies, or bird nests. You may see my auction here ~ it ends Sunday night!




And be sure to visit Suzanne's auction. She has painted an early style silhouette of two sisters with a bird and a birdcage. As I have mentioned before, I have some of her artwork and she is a wonderful artist!




I haven't made any bees or bunnies for the ebay auction, so I thought I'd share a photo I took a few years ago of a bee and wisteria. I have taken lots and lots.... and lots of photos of flowers, bees, butterflies, birds, bark and moss.... the list goes on and on. I'll share some with you from time to time.




I don't have a photo of a live bunny, but this is a rabbit I designed and made last year. I was inspired by the lithographed fabric rabbits of the late 1800s. Mine is sewn, stuffed and handpainted. I'll have a few of these to offer later in Spring.




Have a blessed weekend!

~*~

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE your bird in the hand! I especially like how you scalloped the end and it looks like a glove! There must be something in the air about bees...I just painted a bee girl myself! :)
    Mere

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful wisteria.... I am not a great fan of bees...but this one is okay. Got any butterflies on the same flowers? lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that bird in hand!!:o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lana,

    Your work is beautiful, love it!!!

    God bless,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have outdone yourself with your little rabbit. I have two of the early ones and once copied it in chalkware, but have never successfully done a cloth rendition. Way fabulous, Lana!

    Christine
    AKA,
    Zwee!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lana!
    When you get a chance, stop by my blog...I'm doing my give-away!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are all so wonderful, I have a thing for bunnies though, lol
    April

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Bird in the Hand is just awesome Lana! You are just sooo talented! You're going to have to make more of those wonderful "litho" style bunnies too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lana, they are all wondeful! I especially like the Bird in the Hand! Toodles...Angie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Lana...your bird in the hand is just a beautiful, beautiful work! Your photography work is awesome as well. That's a super duper close up of that bumble bee, isn't it? Thank you so much for sharing...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your bird in hand! Once again you've outdone yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really great, Lana.
    Dare I say 'hand-some'??
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you ladies! "Hand-some"? LOL! Funny Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I found your blog through your Etsy site (after you marked that you heart my shop! I love the internet...) What a lovely blog! I especially like that fantastic photo of the bee on Wisteria. I am also a fan of bumblebees. I'm always tempted to pet them:). I will check in again! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete