Friday, January 18, 2008

Puzzle Purse Valentines

My 2008 collection of Puzzle Purse Valentines and other love tokens are now available at Honeysuckle Lane. More than 20 items were uploaded tonight and there are more to come on January 25th. You may see them here.


Messages of LOVE are written on these Valentines which are folded in a precise intricacy so that as you open it according to the numbered sections, you read a verse or a phrase, and tiny hand painted pictures are revealed. The very inner most part of the Valentine sometimes has woven paper hearts or a woven paper heart and hand. They are sometimes tricky for the recipient to re-fold, which is part of the charm of the puzzle purse. These were inspired by the ones originally made in the late 1700s and the early 1800s. All artwork, which is a combination of naive / schoolgirl art / fraktur influences, is done with watercolors and India ink on new or aged (with a coffee or tea and vanilla mixture) parchment paper. I have searched through my American folk art books for ideas for flowers, birds, and other early American designs. I use poems of the 1700s and 1800s along with some of my own original phrases. Keep in mind these are hand done, so each one will be unique. The valentines measure 2 ½” square closed and 7 ½” square when fully opened. Each valentine comes with a 3" papier mache box hand painted with a coordinating design (see photo above description for example). These are time consuming, but I do enjoy making them. The papers are aged, distressed, and sealed. Next I do all of the cutting to size and folding. After that, each design is sketched in pencil, then painted with artist watercolors and outlined with sepia India ink. After all paints and inks have dried, I cut, fold, and weave the little heart and hand paper whimsies to go inside the valentines. Last, I fold the puzzle back into a little square for you to discover it's secret. Then it's on to the papier mache boxes. Each one is base coated, the designs are sketched, then painted and outlined same as with the valentines. After the paint has dried, the boxes are aged, distressed, and given a hand rubbed finish.

I'll try to get a few everyday / simple joys photos on this blog during the weekend.

Thanks for visiting!
~*~

26 comments:

  1. Lana, i just got back from visiting your shop and i am just amazed by your talent and how many different things you do, and all of them so wonderful...your creations are just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your offerings are so delicate and delightful.I love the verses that lie within the delicate folds of the valentines, each one a treasured expression of love long past.The garland tickles my fancy too!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are SPECTACULAR! I must see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I treasure the Valentine puzzle purse that I bought from you. Your work is so lovingly reminiscent of good things.

    xo,

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lana, you do some of the most exquisite and intricate handwork I have ever seen. I just love your puzzle purses. I hope to someday own one to call my very own. :) You are so talented ...

    With hugs,
    Dana

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these new ones Lana! Last years were wonderful...but they keep getting better every time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful and so delicate! You are quiet amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those little boxes are stunning! Love them...Angie

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are wonderfully fabulous creations! I may have to purchase one for my valentines day born child.
    Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it all...
    You are nothing short of fantastic!
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lana, I'm in total awe!!!

    These are just beautiful - I love them so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love LOVE these, Lana!!! VERY unique!!!!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lana, they are so beautiful!! You are sooooo talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Lana! I have been tagged and now I am tagging you! List 5 things about yourself, then have 5 friends do the same.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lana. These are wonderfuf....your work is always stunning in my opinion!! I just love them.

    Hugs,
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my goodness - beautiful! What amazing little creations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You do amazingly beautiful work. Your site, too, is beautiful. I just found it, but I will surely be back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lana, those are fantastic! I love your pieces!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are amazing!! Love these!!

    blessings,
    kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  20. I came to your site via two Donnas' sites, and I have to say I'm very impressed. You are a very talented person. I just love the stuff you've made for Valentine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your charms soldering is soooo hard cough!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm always amazed at your beautiful designs.
    Blessings~
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lana,

    Thanks for visiting my blog and entering the GIVE AWAY!!

    Can't wait to receive your sweet little package.
    xo Lidy

    ReplyDelete