Friday, April 20, 2012

We Are Not Planting a Garden



...or so we say.

Each year, for the last several years, my husband and I have had the same conversation come garden planting time.

Husband: "I don't think I'll plant a garden this year."
Me: "Are you sure?"

Husband: "Yeah, I'm so tired by the time I get home from work in the evenings and it's either too dry or too wet in the summer and we have to keep watering everything or hope it doesn't rot in the ground."
Me: "Well, if you are sure. You know you say that every year and we end up planting a garden."

Husband: "I know, but this time we won't do it."
Me: "That's okay. It's probably cheaper to buy everything at the store by the time we count our time and labor and cost for all the plants and the fertilizer."

Husband: "It does taste better than what's at the store though..."
Me: "Yeah, I really don't mind canning and freezing if it just doesn't all get ripe at the same time..."

Husband: "Well... maybe you should pick up just a few plants at the store when you go to town... just enough to eat during the summer.We won't bother with canning anything."
Me: "Like what?"

Husband: "Tomatoes... we can eat them all summer long... and maybe a couple of squash plants. I like fried squash. Cucumbers would be nice, too. Oh, and cabbage...
Me: going to the kitchen to get a piece of paper and a pen...

Husband: "Carrots, don't forget carrot seed.... and okra seed! Okra's really good in your homemade vegetable soup. Peas, too... and onions..."
Me: scribbling down everything he names...

Husband: "But we won't have to buy any beans or corn because I have some leftover from last year that we can plant..."
Me: making a note to stock up on more freezer bags and canning lids since I know what this is turning into...





{...and some basil for the back porch herb pots!}

So... I went to town yesterday and bought plants and seed. When I got home, he had already been tilling more of the garden space that we weren't going to use this year.




And day before yesterday when he came home from work, he had seed potatoes to plant that someone had given to him that they had leftover from planting their garden. He said he was only planting one row and we could dig them as we needed them rather than digging them at the end of the season and storing through the winter. When he came back inside he had planted two rows! I knew it would end up like this... it always does!

This old, rusty tiller looks like it's ready for the scrap yard, but it runs better and digs deeper than the newer one we have.





I hope all of you have a great weekend. If the weather cooperates, Jessica (my daughter) and I are going to some garage sales Saturday.

Take care and God bless!
Lana
~*~

5 comments:

  1. This is so cute. Reminds me of the children's book "If you give a mouse a cookie." One thing leads to another and pretty soon, you are planting a BIG garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I have heard those conversations before. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That same kind of conversation replayed with us for almost 30 years, LOL. Now that we're in a villa home & have too many aches & pains, the topic is now past. We don't miss the work, but we do miss the garden. Enjoy these years and the fresh veggies while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorrie, I'd forgotten about that book, lol!

    Jess and Donna ~ guess it'll be the same conversation till we're too old to garden. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok Donna.... I did NOT mean that you and Mr. Cottage Days were too old... just that's when we will finally quit... I'll go pry my foot from my mouth now..... :D

    ReplyDelete