Monday, May 19, 2008

Suggestions for an INSPIRATIONS board???

So many of you here in blogland have shared the most wonderful ideas in decorating. I can remember seeing several bliss / bulletin / inspiration boards and for the life of me, can't remember where I saw them. If someone has posted about decorative bulletin boards or if you know of a blog or site with examples, I'l love to see them!

Here's the basic idea of what I'm making for my workroom. I have an antique frame that I will paint. It will be attached to a hinged frame and placed on the wall to cover the breaker box. When we need in the breaker box, all we do is swing the frame open! As you can see in the photo, I started to paint the breaker box and then remembered the large old frame I had and it is a perfect fit! I am probably going to cover a thin board with a bit of batting and fabric, with criss-crossed ribbon to insert in the frame; but before I do that, I thought I'd like to see my other options. So... if anyone has a suggestion instead of my batting and fabric idea, feel free to comment or email me the links or photos. Thank you!
Update: Look what I found! Though I am still going with my antique frame idea, I thought some of you might want to use something more colonial / primitive looking to hide your breaker box. Just visit this blog to see: Farmhouse Primitives.

12 comments:

  1. Lana,

    Great frame. Just a few suggestions...you could paint a board with chalkboard paint and insert it into the frame...or there is a whiteboard paint now that you can create a whiteboard with paint! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    Have a blessed and wonderful day!

    smiles, kari & kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana, I was going to suggest the blackboard paint, but k&K beat me to it!

    Here is my messy inspiration board:

    http://littlefrenchgardenhouse.blogspot.com/2007/05/inspiration-board.html

    it does have criscross pillow trim on it to hold a few things in, and to make it prettier! Can't wait to see what you come up with, hiding the breaker box is such a great idea.:)
    xo Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to hide that box this is my first time i came to see your site.I loves it! thank you so much for showing us what your doing i'll be back to see that that look's like .ohhh am getting idea now from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lana, there's a pretty inspirational board in the book "Where Women Create". If you don't have this book, you can see the example online on Amazon.com Thanks for stopping by, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see it finished!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lana, I saw that Kari & Kijsa left a comment above, but here is a post they did about a door... however I was more captivated by the idea board than the door. Not that you could see the frame as it was full from top to bottom. I think if you stick some corkboard into that gorgeous frame of yours, then you can fill it with all sorts of wonderful and creative things. No need for anything more fancy than pulling together things you love to look at.

    Blessings,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  7. clever girl.
    Thinking of you with great fondness.
    Blondie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lana, I love your idea for covering the breaker box. Mine is right at the bottom of my basement stairs and could really use something like this.
    Now for the bulletin boards. Just last week on my Show Me Wednesdays we did bulletin boards. Here's a link for you. So many wonderful ideas!
    http://hazelruthes.blogspot.com/2008/05/show-me-wednesday-bulletin-boards_13.html

    Cathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I took a cork board and covered it in vintage linen, stapled around on the back.I then placed it in my antique frame. This way I was able to use the entire surface rather than just placing items through the ribbons.I then used antique glass pins to stick in the item through the linen and into the cork.
    If you're looking to dress it up it can be covered in any type of fabric that is forgiving to the pins for instance barkcloth, wool... the possibilities are endless.
    Make sure you let us see the finished product and have fun!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw one at PresentPast Collection once. Maybe you could do a little search on her blog.
    I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the frame Lana....I'm sure whatever you do will be great. Can't wait to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you everyone! i hope to have it made and hanging in place one day next week.....

    ReplyDelete