Monday, April 7, 2008

Now taking orders for MAY DAY BASKETS


Hi again! Two posts in one day ~ what's the world coming to? I happened to think I'd better offer these soon so I will have time to make and ship them before May Day. I have already sold out of the first batch and I am in the process of making more this week. What am I talking about, you ask?


I adore reading 19th century books for young ladies, explaining all the dos and don’ts of etiquette, quaint traditions, and how to stay occupied, particularly with one’s hands. While reading a book written for young girls in 1887, I learned that according to traditions of merrie England, maids and matrons would go out bright and early on the first day of May and wash their faces in the dew. The dew, they believed, held magical qualities, which kept them looking young and beautiful for a year. Some ladies even went so far as to gather and save the glistening dew to moisten their faces until May 1st came ‘round again. To continue this quaint custom, I have made for your pleasure, ~ MAY DEW GATHERING BASKETS ~. Just imagine this May, you and your friend, sister, mother, daughter, or granddaughter rising early on the first morn of May and gathering your very own May Dew! That will be such a sweet memory to cherish forever. The May Dew Gathering Basket is an original Honeysuckle Lane creation, with the looped basket design coming from a 19th century book that I have in my collection. You may visit my website to read more about the making of the baskets and to see more photos, here.


Just email me (honeysucklelane@hotmail.com) if you are interested in placing an order. I will take orders until April 21 in order to get them to you by the end of the month. If you are overseas and want to order, keep in mind the shipping is a little longer. PayPal, check, and money order are accepted.


You will receive the basket, miniature apothecary jar, and a card explaining the custom. The cost is $18 each plus shipping.

Thanks for visiting!
~*~

9 comments:

  1. Precious! I need to roll all over in dew I guess :)
    Did the teapot get there in one piece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana, your baskets are darling...i think my dew gathering jar needs to be MUCH larger:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ponce de Leon could have learned a thing or two from those 19th century ladies
    (and saved alot of time and money)!

    I love the notion of gathering dew. These are as sweet as can be, Lana - but then you always come up with the sweetest this-n-thats!!
    x0

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really lovely idea! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing Lana, simply amazing! You always inspire me to read more, learn more and strive more! I absolutely love this little basket. I would order one but I am in California till May 15th helping my daughter with my new grandson and my current grandson. You truly are an inspiration! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit that I am celebrating May Day a bit early as I put my May baskets out as soon as they arrived! They are so sweet and everytime I see them I smile. I agree with Lori, I need a whole lot of dew :) Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definetly be emailing you. The basket is adorable.
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are darling Lana, and I like how you shared the 'dew' story.
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE my May Day Baskets Lana! Like Patti, I set mine out as soon as they arrived! My plan was to send one to my MIL, but......they look so sweet together!Lol!

    I can't wait to see your new dolls! :)

    ReplyDelete