I'm working on a quilt for the first time in ...oh... maybe 10 - 15 years! I kept changing my mind on the design, but always wanted it to be a scrappy quilt so imperfections weren't that obvious (unless you are a perfectionist and can spot mistakes a mile away).
For this quilt, I chose blacks, browns, and grays, and finally decided on a "Nine Patch Rearranged" design. Basically you cut strips, sew them together in 3 sets of 3s, then cut those into strips and sew into a 9 patch square.
But you don't stop there. You cut the 9 patch in half horizontally and then vertically, turn the 4 smaller squares around until you get the variation you want, and sew those back together!
And then, if you were off a bit like me, you go back later and square up all the squares.
I have 10 large squares made... only 40 something to go!
I ordered some quilting supplies using an Amazon gift card I got for my birthday. Among the items was a new cutting mat because my old one has glue, paint, and marker on it!
I also purchased Aurifil thread for the first time (since so many quilting bloggers raved about it) and I love it! For this quilt, I'm using 50wt 2605 Grey. It blends so well with these colors.
Check back in a few days to see more progress on this quilt!