Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Can You Tell Me?


I have this little old mesh purse in my jewelry stash. It's been there for quite a while... so long that I can't remember when or where I purchased it. I do remember that it was somewhere online and that it was listed as Victorian and that I had plans to use it in one of my assemblage jewelry pieces.





I'm ready to use it now and found a maker's mark on it, but I can't make it out very well. I'm pretty sure the first line is J.M. & C (then a small "le" underlined, I think). I can't read the second line at all. The letters aren't sharp enough, even with a loupe.


Do any of you recognize the mark? If you do, I'd love to know!

Have a wonderful day!
Lana

7 comments:

  1. OMG ... such a beautiful piece. If I had my guess, I think it might be a Victorian coin purse. I swear I have seen one of these before somewhere in the UK but I can't remember where and what was said about it. Not matter what it is I LOVE IT!! It is such an amazing treasure!!
    Many hugs,
    Karen B. ~ Todolwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again! I was right it is an Victorian Coin Purse. If you type that into the google search bar and click on images you will find a few there. I hope this helps.
    Hugs again,
    Karen B. ~ Todolwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! :)
      It is now the focal piece of one of my necklaces. I'll share it next week! :)

      Delete
  3. I looked around on etsy and ebay. They call these gate or accordion coin purses.
    Here is a link to one about the same age, I think judging by the mesh.
    Could not find the manufacturer based on your letters.
    Don't know if the link will work or not.

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/107548959/1862-1918-silver-pouch-purse?ref=sr_gallery_37&ga_search_type=all&ga_includes%5B0%5D=tags&ga_search_query=antique+silver+mesh+purse&ga_page=6&ga_view_type=gallery

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't read the letters but from what you said, the last letters might be "Cie", which is the French abbreviation for Companie (meaning company). It's a neat find whatever.

    Good luck,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Charlotte! I did a little more research based on your tip and I found a coin purse nearly identical. According to the antique dealer, it is French!

      Delete