Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Seeing the Whole Picture



I wrote this over a year ago and somehow it got saved as a draft and was lost in the long line of posts. I just discovered it again, and I suppose, just maybe, it is meant to be shared now. :)


“Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.”
― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

This reminds me of my husband, who is a carpenter. Sometimes when I go to the work site, I can't even imagine what it's going to look like later... it looks like a mess to me... but Roger has a vision. He can see that gorgeous new home or that newly remodeled kitchen... he isn't looking at the mess... he sees the finished product and works toward that goal. And when it's finished... it's beautiful!

So remember, God may be knocking out walls or tearing off the roof... but He sees the whole picture, not just the mess. He's making something you could never imagine... something wonderful and for your benefit... all because of His love for you.

God is so good! Don't you agree?

Blessings,
Lana

3 comments:

  1. I cannot explain how powerful C. S. Lewis's quote was for me. Such timing!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Lana! Or should I say Grandma? I'm bad at blogging these days -- both writing and reading -- but I keep up with you on Facebook. Looks like you are having fun with that sweet little grand baby. I will tell Barb you said hello. One of these days we will visit in person . . . All my best, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lana, this is such a wonderfully descriptive reminder of how God is working in our lives even when it hurts. I think every Christian needs to read this one! I have recently started blogging again and am happy to find you're still at it.

    Blessings,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete