Monday, August 11, 2008

Simple Joys...

Nothing new to share ~
family ~
work ~
the garden ~
and the animals ~
are keeping me busy.
Please enjoy these lovely poems ~
and photos of simple joys here at home...


"O Spirit of the Summertime!

Bring back the roses to the dells;

The swallow from her distant clime,

The honey-bee from drowsy cells.
Bring back the friendship of the sun;

The gilded evenings, calm and late,

When merry children homeward run,

And peeping stars bid lovers wait.
Bring back the singing;

and the scent Of meadowlands at dewy prime;

Oh, bring again my heart's content,

Thou Spirit of the Summertime!"

~ by William Allingham ~


~*~


"Fairest of the months!

Ripe summer's queen

The hey-day of the year

With robes that gleam

with sunny sheen

Sweet August doth appear."

~ by R. Combe Miller ~


~*~


"Whilst August yet wears her golden crown,

Ripening fields lush- bright with promise;

Summer waxes long, then wanes, quietly passing

Her fading green glory on to riotous Autumn."

~ Michelle L. Thieme, August's Crown ~



~*~
"How sociable the garden was.

We ate and talked in given light.

The children put their toys to grass

All the warm wakeful August night."

~ Thomas Gunn, Last Days at Teddington ~



~*~


"What dreadful hot weather we have! It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance."

~ Jane Austen ~



~*~



continuing to enjoy the summer...


Lana of Honeysuckle Lane

6 comments:

  1. sometimes that is the best.. the simple times. I love all the photos you shot here !!! Just wonderful !!! Blessings, Mica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely summertime pictures!

    BTW, I was able to finally give the birthday gift to my friend - the lovely pillow I bought from you at the lavender festival. She adored it! I have the pillow featured on my blog, so please visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lana, these photos are beautiful. I just love the country life!!!! bLESSINGS, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. are you still considering raising Bees, Idgie ?

    I sure hope you are ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Cookie, I am, lol! I've been reading books from the library about beekeeping, but don't savor the idea of being stung once every 10 days to build up and immunity to them!

    ReplyDelete